When Hasbro rethought and changed to an animal based line instead of vehicles, the only way to go was with familiar names on new characters and how could they go without everyone’s crazy tyrant called Megatron and to fit such a character they needed something with bite and who has a bigger bite then a T-Rex. So all in all it was a match made in heaven for dinosaur fans who love Transformers, it got new kids to buy toys again and who can not resist this big purple guy, but wait….. He was initially designed to be an alligator… then a dragon, a missile launcher and a spider head???? my head hurts…. so let us look into this further!
- 1996 – Hasbro – Basic Class – Megatron: It is not completely clear why they did not go with this early attempt at Megs as a Green Aligator but I for one am glad they did not run with it. He came packed with Optimus Primal who was first designed to be a bat.
- 1996 – Hasbro – Ultra Class – Megatron: A second attempt but much better, He transforms into a Purple T-Rex and is much bigger and cooler then the reptile…. He even can shoot water out of his mouth. In 2006 Takara released this version
- 1997 – Hasbro – Basic Class – Amazon Showdown Megatron: A Japanese repaint of the first Alligator toy in Purple and came packed with a recolored Optimus Primal in Red and Blue.
1998 – Takara – Ultra Class – Lucky draw Megatron: A Gold repaint of the T-Rex Megatron was only available in a contest and there were only around 10 in number.
- 1998 – Hasbro – Mega Class – Transmetal Megatron: A new mold and the third version of him, he transforms into a mechanical Purple, Brown, Silver and Cooper T-Rex, He also has flip down hip turbines and fold down roller skates in his feet.
- 1999 – Takara – Mega Class – Beastwars Metals Megatron: A slight repaint of the Hasbro version replaces the Brown on his face for Black, Light Grey for the Silver on his beast mode arms, tail and skates. He was also available in a two-pack with Transmetal Optimus Primal
- 1999 – Hasbro – Ultra Class – Transmetal 2 Megatron: A Brand new mold and a Red Mechanical Dragon too…. well there goes the neighborhood!!!
- 2000 – Hasbro – Mega Class – Beast Machines Megatron: One of the weakest Megatron toys EVER!!!!! This one crude and half thought out, He retains his Red Dragon mode. BUT his lower legs barely change between modes, his lower chest in robot mode unfold to be dragon arms and his whole chest flips around so one robot arm is his dragon head and the other an a tail and his wings barely change. Unlike other toys who use this arms / head tail gimmick this was just too lazy…. “but the McDonald toy was worse but that is a story for another time.” But wait there is another lazy thoughtless third mode to mimic the TV show character as a shrouded form… means his wings wrap around his robot mode….. that is it…. Oh Megatron you have fell so far… Takara also released this version in 2005
- 2004 – Takara – Robot Masters Class – Beast Megatron: A simpler and smaller version of the original T-Rex toy who looks great and is part of Takara’s Robot Masters line of smaller toys. Takara also re-released this version as a repaint in another series.
- 2004 – Takara – Robot Masters Class – Beast Megatron Limited Black Version: An all Black with some Silver repaint of the first Robot Masters toy was a special mail in though a magazine.
- 2005 – Takara – Deluxe Class – Megahead Megatron: This toy was developed for the Beastmachines line but was shelved then brought out in the 2002 R.I.D. line as Megatron then was given a Japanese exclusive years later. He is basically a spider head thing
- 2006 – Hasbro – Ultra Class – Darksyde Megatron: A repaint of Cybertron Defense Red Alert was an exclusive for Botcon 2006 and represents Megatron before he got turned into a T-Rex in Beast Machines. He comes in a 2-pack with Darksyde Waspernator. For more information see my Botcon exclusives blog entry HERE
- 2006 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – 10 Anniversary Megatron: This time he transforms into a Techno-Organic T-Rex in tow shades of Purple. He comes with a Planet key that was part of the gimmick of the line and a small figurine version of his Darksyde ship
- 2006 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – Cybertron Megatron: A simple repaint in a more complex paint application with Purple, Green, Blue, and Gold
- 2012 – Takara – Deluxe Class – United Beast Megatron: Part of the United line, this is another repaint of the 10th anniversary toy in darker Purple with some Gold details and White teeth.
so here we are, another entry on Megatron, and there is so much more versions to explore…. anyways see you next time…