Today I thought I would talk about Cliffjumper, he is clearly not as popular as his line mate Bumblebee but he has gotten quite a few toys over the years, quite often repaints and retools of BB.
- 1983 – Takara – Unknown Class – MC-04 Mini Car Robo 01 Porsche Turbo 924: Part of the Microchange line of Toys, Cliff came in Blue, Red, and Yellow. This sub-line was meant to be a deformed line similar to Takara’s already popular Choro-Q line that was sold in the western market as Penny racers
1984 – Hasbro – Mini-Vehicle Class – G1 Cliffjumper: A strict re-release of the Takara Toy but with a switch of stickers saw the computer button pad replaced with an Autobot symbol. He was released in Red and Yellow but only the former is recognized as a true Cliff by fans
- 1985 – Hasbro – Mini-Vehicle Class – Listen ‘n Fun Cliffjumper: Part of the cross brand Listen ‘n Fun sub-line that included My Little Pony and G.I.Joe that was released with an audio cassette. He was released in both Yellow and Red
- 2001 – Fun4All – Mini-Vehicle Class – Key Chain Cliffjumper: Licensed from Hasbro, this company specialized in novelty keychains but went out of business in 2004 stopping the line at 4 with an additional 3 for Botcon. The Bumper was retooled to have a loop to hold the keychain. The first 4 were released by another company Basic Fun who has done key chains for the 2007 movie plus others. Then in 2003 Takara re-released them in blind packed boxes with an exclusive all Black version of Cliff, buyers did not know what color they got to the opened it up, and in 2007 Hasbro re-released the line as well
- 2004 – Hasbro – Mini-Con Class – Armada Cliffjumper: The first of only a couple non Red sports car Cliff’s, this one was a mini-con 4X4 pickup truck that has a pull back winch gimmick that pulls a string with a hook on it. She came packed with Armada Cheetor in a Purple and Orange color scheme and could connect to one of two plugs on the Cat’s booster rockets. This toy was redeco of Ransack, and was meant to be a girl although she has no actual girl like features.
- 2005 – Hasbro – Mega Class – Energon Cliffjumper: Although he was returned to being a Guy, he is a Yellow and Black Baja Style buggy that came with electronic sounds, missile launchers and could become the bottom or top half of a combiner with Deluxe or Mega Class robots of the same line.
- 2005 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – Classics Cliffjumper: A straight redeco of Bumblebee in the normal Red with Silver, He transforms into some sort of sport coupe with a Jet-Ski water craft trailer that can become a clip on jet pack. Interestingly a third party company called Beelzeboss created an add-on kit called “Devil Horns” that gave buyers a more G1 like head to swap out his BB head and a pair of guns.
- 2007 – Hasbro – Activators Class – Animated Cliffjumper: There is no surprise that this is a retool of BB with a new head, the gimmick here he can automatically transform into robot mode from a sub-compact car. He was also re-released by Takara, the main difference is they replaced his Black Autobot symbol with a White trimmed Red one.
- 2007 – Hasbro – Legends Class – AllSpark Battles Cliffjumper: Yep another straight redeco of Bee, he transforms into a fully licensed 1976 Chevrolet Camaro as part of the first live action movie line and comes with Barricade. He was also released in the international market alone.
- 2008 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – AllSpark Power Cliffjumper: He transforms into the concept 2009 Chevrolet Camaro and as you already most likely guessed a another Bee repaint.
- 2009 – Takara – Legends Class – Henkei! Henkei! Cliffjumper: A repaint of Bumblebee in his normal Red color, he transforms into some sort of hatchback and comes in a 3-pack with Brawn and Beachcomber. He was also re-released by Hasbro in 2014 with a much bigger autobot symbol
- 2009 – Takara – Alternator Class – Alternity Cliff: The first to drop the jumper part, he transforms into a metallic Red fully licensed Suzuki Swift with realistic seats, opening doors, hood, and trunk. He is of course a retool of BB
- 2010 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – War for Cybertron Cliffjumper: Part of the War for Cybertron line, he is a redeco / retool of BB once again, in Red with a new head sculpt and is a Cybertronian Race car. He was also slightly redecoed for Takara’s United line in the same year.
- 2011 – Hasbro – Deluxe Class – Prime Cliffjumper: A whole new mold that shares nothing with BB, he transforms into a muscle car that is a mix of a Plymouth Barracuda and a Dodge Challenger, he also has a set of bull horns on his hood. He was slightly redecoed for Takara’s United line and for Hasbro’s Generation line in Metallic Red of different shades respectively. There are two Hasbro additions of this toy that are completely different molds but are basically the same toy.
- 2012 – Takara – Deluxe Class – Prime Terrorcon Cliffjumper: A repaint / redeco of the First addition Prime toy but in translucent Purple with a broken head horn and face damage, he is an undead version of Cliff who died and was brought back as a dark energon zombie by Megatron, Hasbro also brought out a version of this toy first but in his traditional Red. A special Rust in Peace Cliff was A San Diego Comic-Con 2012 exclusive in his Red color in a special container shaped like his Head.
- 2012 – Hasbro – Cyberverse Legion Class – Prime Cliffjumper: Part of the Legion class he is basically the same as the bigger Prime toy but more simplistic and was also given a Purple Terrorcon version as well by Takara
2012 – Hasbro – Legends Class – Generations thrilling 30 Cliffjumper: Another repaint of Bumblebee that transforms into an unknown type of car in Red, he comes with comes with mini-con partner Suppressor, (a redeco of Autobot Roller)
Well that is it, this entry is over but whenever Bumblebee gets a new release you might find a Cliffjumper springing out as well, anyways take care and see you next time