In 1985 Hasbro was desperate to find more and more toys since they were starting to run a bit dry on the choices Takara had to offer, so they turned to other toy companies such as Bandai who had just bought Takatoku Toys lines of toys after that company had gone bankrupt in 1984. Takatoku had a huge success with their Macross line of toys (G1 Jetfire) but their next two lines were failures. One of these lines was called Special Armored Battalion Dorvack and this leads to our subject Whirl
- 1983 – Takatoku – Deluxe class – Dorvack 1/55 Ovelon Gazzette: Cast in Dark Blue and is similar to a Bell AH-1 Cobra Helicopter, his robot mode head has only one eye (similar to unrelated Shockwave) and he does not have actual hands but instead has a pair of pincers. He also has a set of clip on weapons for either mode.
- 1985 – Hasbro – Deluxe class – Whirl: A repaint of the original toy in a lighter shade of Blue. reports say that there is a rarer version with a ridged canopy instead of the flat common one but it is hard to find pictures of it.
- 2004 – Hasbro – Ultra class – Universe Autobot Whirl: A repaint of G1 Turbomaster Rotorstorm in a Darker Blue color scheme similar in ways to his Takatoku origins, he comes with two mini-con partners Makeshift and Gunbarrel
- 2007 – Hasbro – Legends class – Classics Whirl: A repaint of Legends of Cybertron Evac he transforms into Eurocopter Dauphin rescue helicopter in his traditional color scheme but in a much smaller size class.
- 2009 – Hasbro – Voyager class – Revenge of the Fallen Master of Metallikato Whirl: A redeco of Evac that was a retool of Blackout. He transforms into a Sikorsky MH-53 Pave Low heavy-lift helicopter in a medium Blue this time. He was sold with Decepticon Bludgeon in a 2-pack exclusive to Toys”R”Us and later at Winners in Canada. (the markings on his tail read “N073A0” if you flip it upside down it can be read as “OVELON” which is in reference to his original Takatoku toy)
- 2011 – Hasbro – Basic class – Dark of the Moon Whirl: Part of the human alliance wave he comes with a plastic human figure “Major Sparkplug” can can ride his Helicopter mode and can be turned into a battle turret that can be used as a giant gun by other Transformers. He is in Grey and Brown that is a complete departure for the character. (It is unknown if Major Sparkplug is a homage to Sparkplug Witwicky but it does make sense, he is in the same line with a Spike Witwicky)
2013 – Hasbro – Deluxe class – Fall of Cybertron Autobot Whirl: A Blue and Orange redeco / retool of Fall of Cybertron Vortex with a new “one eyed” head. He can combine with the rest of the Wreckers team to become the combiner Ruination.
- 2014 – Hasbro – Voyager class – Generations Autobot Whirl: Part of the thrilling 30 portion of Generations line and is very similar to his G1 appearance in color and look, feature one eye and pincer hands with clip on guns. A very nice homage.
- 2014 – Takara – Voyager class – Legends Whirl: A repaint of the Generations toy but in light Blue with extra darker Blue detailing around the cockpit and shoulders.
Well you maybe asking what the importance of this character is after this short entry, he may have not been given too many toys but he was one the two first deluxe class toys made before there even was a use for the class. so that in itself is important. Here is a picture of the Hasbro and Takara 2014 toys together.
So this is it, I hope you enjoyed this entry and see you next time.